The Idaho Lottery is aware there are fraudulent scammers contacting players and former winners by phone claiming they are from Mega Millions Headquarters. THIS IS FALSE INFORMATION AND A SCAM.
The scammers are asking for personal information and bank transactions. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM!
These scammers are sophisticated and may have already done research on you before calling. They are trying to get you to voluntarily give them money or gain access to your bank accounts. Some of these callers have become very aggressive and have asked for money upfront to claim the prize. They say you have to pay taxes in advance before collecting millions. THIS IS FALSE AND A SCAM!
How to know if it is a Scam?
- If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
- While the Idaho Lottery may contact you by phone if you’ve won a second chance drawing or promotion, you will have knowingly entered the drawing prior. You are always welcome to ask the caller’s name and call the Lottery’s main number to be transferred to them to verify the call is legitimate.
- They may tell you that you need to hurry and get them the money right away or you’ll lose your prize. THIS IS A SCAM. If you win a Lottery game prize, you have 180 days to claim it.
- If you receive a call after hours, this is A SCAM. The Idaho Lottery hours are from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, MT, M-F, except for all observed State and Federal holidays.
- Mega Millions NEVER offers a second chance draw for millions of dollars. NEVER.
- You can NEVER win if you did not buy a ticket for the draw. NEVER.
- The Idaho Lottery NEVER asks for your personal financial information. NEVER.
- The Idaho Lottery NEVER requires an advance deposit to cover taxes on a win. NEVER.
- The Idaho Lottery NEVER asks for your personal information over the phone. NEVER.
- The Idaho Lottery NEVER calls you from a phone number that does not begin with area code 208. NEVER.
What to do if you are contacted by a Scammer:
- Hang up immediately and block future calls from the scammer.
- NEVER give out personal information over the phone to the scammer.
- NEVER give out financial, banking, credit card or debit card information over the phone to the scammer.
- NEVER send them a personal check, money order, or a cashier’s check.
- If you have concerns about the legitimacy of the call, hang up and call the Lottery at 208-334-2600 between 8:30 am and 5:30 pm MT, M-F.